This site operated as a brewery between 1846 and 1978 under several different owners. Two (2), steel 20,000-gallon Underground Storage Tanks (USTs), which were previously used to store fuel oil, were present at the site. Prior to project start-up, no other information concerning the USTs was available.
Tank Assessment and Removal
Prior to UST removal, soil borings were advanced along the north, east, and west sides of the tanks, using a Geoprobe drill rig. No soil staining, odors or obvious signs of contamination were observed during the investigation. Soil and groundwater samples were collected during site activities.
One (1) soil sample from each boring was selected for laboratory analysis from the 10 feet to 12 feet interval, at the soil to groundwater interface. Groundwater samples surrounding the tanks were collected from three (3) Geoprobe locations, in the presumed downgradient direction. All analytical results for soil and groundwater were less than applicable PADEP standards. Based on these results, releases from the tanks had not occurred.
To remove the USTs, an excavation was conducted along the centerline of each tank. Because both tanks were empty, pumping residual liquids was not required. The atmosphere within each UST was monitored for combustible gas levels and oxygen utilizing a lower explosion limit/O2 meter (LEL). A confined space entry into to each tank was then performed to allow for cleaning of each tank interior. All cleaning water was containerized for proper disposal. Both tanks were removed from the ground, scrapped and sold for recycling. The tank excavations were then backfilled.
A closure report was prepared to document site conditions and no further work was required.
Special Project Features
All project work was completed to comply with applicable PADEP standards.